Abstract Detail

Crops and Wild Relatives

Arbizu, Carlos I. [1], Ferro-Mauricio, Rubén [1], Saravia-Navarro, David [1], Chavez-Galarza, Julio [1], Camarena, Felix [2], Carrillo, Fredesvinda [3], Amasifuen Guerra, Carlos [3], Guerrero-Abad, Juan C. [3].

Genotyping-by-sequencing (GBS) reveals the genetic diversity and population structure of a Peruvian collection of beans (Phaseolus vulgaris, Fabaceae).

Bean is an important legume as a source of protein, vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber for millions of people worldwide. It is a nitrogen fixing plant, highly adaptable and productive in a wide range of Andean, Amazonian and coastal environments in Peru. However, genetic studies of the Peruvian germplasm remains largely unknown. Here, we used genotyping-by-sequencing (GBS) to identify single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) that allowed the study of the diversity of 62 bean accessions from the Germplasm Bank of the Instituto Nacional de Innovación Agraria (INIA) and the Universidad Nacional Agraria La Molina (UNALM) of Peru. It was possible to obtain 14,334 high-quality SNPs distributed along the 11 chromosomes of beans. Principal coordinate analysis (PCoA) clearly discriminated the bean accesions based on their improvement status (landrace vs cultivar). In fact, the population structure analysis indicated that these 62 distinct genotypes may be included in five groups. Parameters of genetic diversity revealed that the number of different alleles ranged from 1.366 to 2.235, and values of genetic diversity (i.e. expected heterozigosity) ranged from 0.115 to 0.405. Shannon-Wiener´s index varied from 1.39 to 3.4, indicating high diversity in all clusters. In addition, the average coefficient of genetic differentiation (Fst) among the five clusters was 0.44. AMOVA revealed that the genetic variability between clusters was 17.33% while the rest (82.67%) was within clusters. The highest population divergence (Fst) was observed between clusters 2 and 4 (0.784), and the lowest between 1 and 3 (0.184). To our best knowledge, this is the first research employing high-quality molecular markers distributed in all chromosomes of Peruvian germplasm of P. vulgaris, and at the same time, it helps pave the way towards its modern genetic improvement and its sustainable management. However, further studies are needed including extra bean samples from other Peruvian localities together with an evaluation of their phenotypic traits.

1 - Instituto Nacional de Innovación Agraria, Centro Experimental La Molina, Dirección de Desarrollo Tecnológico Agrario, Av. La Molina 1981, La Molina, Lima, Lima, 15024, Peru
2 - Universidad Nacional Agraria La Molina, Facultad de Agronomía, Av. La Molina s/n, La Molina, Lima, Lima, 15024, Peru
3 - Instituto Nacional de Innovación Agraria, Centro Experimental La Molina, Dirección de Recursos Genéticos y Biotecnología, Av. La Molina 1981, La Molina, Lima, Lima, 15024, Peru

Genetic resources.

Presentation Type: Oral Paper
Number: CWR1002
Abstract ID:1053
Candidate for Awards:None

Copyright © 2000-2022, Botanical Society of America. All rights reserved